Monday, 11 August 2008

Task 1: Telnet (A)

Part A

Step 1: My telnet client.
I hope you can see that, but my first step was to type "telnet://" into my address bar and to my surprise it worked :D (I later found that I could bypass a couple of the future steps by typing "telnet://library.deakin.edu.au" into the address bar, but I'll remember that next time I do this).

Step 2: Launch the application

As you can see from the screen dump, at this point you are presented with the option to launch the application which I did :D (I was very excited to get this far; things were happening)

Step 3: The address
As you can see here in my Microsoft Telnet Client that I typed in the address of what I was to connect to, which in this case was Deakin library. The address was "library.deakin.edu.au". Again, I now realise I could have typed this directly into my address bar in my browser, but instead I'll remember that for next time.

After this it connected to the telnet library at deakin and asked me which terminal I was using; UT100 or NCSA UT100. After a quick Google search, I decided to select the the UT100 terminal.

Step 4: Finding my way around the library
As you can see from the screen dump, as far as I'm aware I successfully found where I was meant to be; the Deakin library. Next I was to search for my author; Bennahum. I selected option A for Author at which point I was presented with two titles for books written by Bennahum, so I selected the email printer and sent it to my university email address.
Step 5: The email
Next I checked my inbox and 'lo and behold':
My email from "DEAKIN UNI LIB" was waiting for me with my selected book information.

My Thoughts: I quite enjoyed this first task as it allowed me to get my hands a little dirty, but I wonder what people would use this for? I understand that it's used to connect to computers from a distance, and that in the past this would have been very useful, but what do I use it for today? Wouldn't using a remote desktop do a similar thing? I'm not too sure. I plan to play around with this tool anyway, as there are some clever things out there which are accessible to Telnet, so hopefully I'll still find some use for it. Going through the interesting list at http://www.telnet.org/htm/places.htm will be my first goal and will hopefully help answer some of my questions.

No comments: